Sunday 7 October 2012

Sunday run time - The Bug


Although my next event is the BIG ONE and it's all about the cycling, I seem to NEED to run, I think they call it the bug! I also have a half marathon booked for 2 weeks after I return from Cambodia and I have to admit, I still find the cycling easier than the running, so I think when it comes to being prepared, I'm ready for the cycle challenge of 480K from Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam to Siem Reap in Cambodia, but still not sure if I can run a sub 2hr half marathon , which is why I signed up for the Norwich Half marathon in November, after only managing a 2 hr 5 min 13.1 miles in May.
This is why (and yes I think I'm mad too) I'm taking my running kit away with me, not only so I can keep up with my training, but also so I can register a run in both countries.

So back to today; I teamed up with my buddy Kirk, who is also running the Norwich Half and hoping for a sub 2hr and although he had been out for the last 2 nights enjoying the finer things in life like excessive eating and drinking!!! He kindly drew us up a 11 mile route to run, he arrived at my house at 9 am this morning looking the worse for wear, but like a true athlete, it wasn't going to stop him, we warmed up, set our Garmins and off we ran, through the east of Norwich and out in to the beautiful country side (and yes it was bloody cold) he had even, cleverly hidden 2 drinks on the route for us to grab and to save us carrying drinks for the whole route.  As usual we chatted the miles away until about mile 8 when we both started feeling it, but after a energy gel and a few wise words from each other we got our heads down and got through it, the final run was 11.4 miles and I think we both felt every mile, but we did it, we ran, we enjoyed it and we felt great for completing it, I also need to remember that it was only 15 months ago that I started running and could only run for 1 min at a time, it just goes to prove that with the right support, determination and a will to improve, anything is possible!!

If you are reading this and thinking "I can't run" yes you can, just download a app called Get Running (couch to 5K) and take one step at a time, before you know it, you too will have the bug!!

Click to see our route - Half Marathon Training with Kirk by goldeni at Garmin Connect - Details





Norwich Half Marathon Number 376

No comments:

Post a Comment